Historical Road Names
Note that from a historical perspective, some of the road names above and postcodes below (which have been used in Google Maps, bt.com addresses, local government documents and many other places) are incorrect, and merely the result of recent common useage.
- Howgare Road (or Hogger Road): Google used to mark Howgare Road as running from Longbridge to Bury Lane (incorrect) and from Bulls Lane to Martin Drove End on the A354 (partly incorrect), but corrected this in April 2012. Howgare Road runs from the junction of Bulls Lane and Bury Lane to the Oxdrove at the top of the hill, not as far as the A354. Wiltshire Council are now using Google names on their planning notices, so may change to the new names but the old planning notices will remain with the wrong road name.
- Manor Farm Road: There is no such thoroughfare as "Manor Farm Road". The road that runs from Longbridge to Bury Lane is called Smockland Way - this is clear from 1792, but no one has used this name for many years and Manor Farm Road has been used incorrectly. Many houses and the primary school use Newtown in the address instead of the road name because Newtown is the official place name for the area either side of the road.
- Church Bottom: This unmade farm track only runs south from the staggered cross roads ie from its junction with Smockland Way. More research is required as to the name of the short stretch of road between that junction and the South Street/Causeway bend. It may be the continuation of South Street, or may not have a name at all. Manor Farm and other dwellings on this short stretch of road should not be stated as on Church Bottom although they are listed as such in addresses including bt.com online addresses and have a Church Bottom postcode.
- Chapel Lane: This was often called Springs Lane in the recent past (it has lots of vigorous springs in February and March and often floods) and it was called Low Lane centuries ago when it was a route to Fifield Bavant, Ebbesbourne Wake and Shaftesbury. High Lane replaced it, probably due to the water problems. Chapel Lane is now the official name.
- High Lane was also called Shaftesbury Road in a letter to H G Blick dated 16/07/1963 (URC records in the Broad Chalke Archive).
- North Street: This road continues round Vikings Corner to the Queen's Head and the junction with High Road and The Causeway. In the Trust Deed for the Congregational Church (now the URC Chapel) dated 15th December 1862 the street outside the Chapel is called North Street, but it is now considered that Ivon House and the Chapel are in High Road and the Queen's Head is in North Street.